York Gate Before the Spencers
John England was tenant farmer at York Gate Farm for more than fifty years. For most of that time, the land was owned by the Eddison family until it was bought by Frederick Spencer in 1951. John England was married twice and had fourteen children.
George England, born in 1845, was his first child (by first wife, Agnes). George lived at Gate Farm Cottage, a building adjacent to York Gate Farmhouse (now York Gate House). By 1901 however, the cottage was unoccupied.
Marshall England (John's first child by second wife, Anne), was born in 1873. It was possibly at this time that the new farmhouse was built (York Gate farmhouse). On the death of John England, in 1911, other tenant farmers occupied York Gate farm including Malcom Gaddock, Marshall England, Joe Chapman and Sam Baxter.
Click on any picture to enlarge it and find more information.